Friday 6 May 2011

How do you know?

A lot of people have asked me “how did you know you wanted to be a music producer? It’s not so much of me wanting to be something. Music production found me.
I’d always been interested in the Keyboard and Synthesizer. These were and still are two important elements to creating music. When I was about 17 years old, I had a 4-track and with this, I did a lot of experimentation with what I could do with it. I guess you could say this was my first step in knowing this was the career path that was right for me.

A music producer doesn’t just listen to a track. He/she should be able to identify and distinguish all the different sounds in a song. All the instruments in a track are doing so many different things to create that one sound. This is something that interested me a lot. I was naturally able to listen to a song and concentrate on each element, pick out all the different beats and rhythms involved. Music must be analysed.
Timbaland is someone who has influenced me a lot and I admire the work that he’s done. Through the music he produces, you can hear that he’s put a lot into making each element of a song perfect and creatively makes it work for every genre. Although he is very commercial, he still brings that sense of “new music” in everything he does, and he isn’t afraid of taking risks. He’s not confined to one style. He doesn’t reproduce music. He creates it. This is exactly the attitude a music producer should always have in mind. This is the road that I take. Music that is new, creative and beautiful is what music should be. As a music producer, like Timbaland, indulging in different genres of music is a plus.

Composing music + sound engineering = music producer and it’s
through this I knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment